Monday, December 19, 2005

The Givers


I remember when TIME magazine's "Man of the Year" was a real media event. Partly because we didn't have too many media events. There was the newspaper and the evening news. On only three networks. Now the airwaves are filled with media events. Top 100 everythings. Best of this. Best of that. Constant competitions, battles, titles, and ceremonies to review and honor them. So TIME's renamed "Person of the Year" now seems something of a quaint holdover from another era.

Nevertheless, each year I wonder who it's going to be. This year I was sure they'd name Mother Nature. After all, between hurricanes, tsunamis (I know that was 2004, but it was after last year's Person was named), and earthquakes, that cranky old broad had arguably affected more lives than anybody else in 2005. And, perhaps most important, it was during the Hurrican Katrina media coverage that the American media finally got over its fear of criticizing our callous and incompetent president and his pathetic appointments.

I was not alone in my surprise, then, that the editors at TIME picked Bill & Melinda Gates and Bono as Persons of the Year. High level philanthropy. Debt relief. The global battle against HIV/AIDS . These three "haves" have advocated articulately and persuasively on behalf of the have-nots, and the Gates family has certainly put their money where their mouth is. But at first it seemed jarring to see their faces on the magazine cover. I wondered if their outside-the-box thinking and generosity had somehow been coopted in a way that made them less effective. I wondered if they were now the do-gooders whom we can all feel good for praising, but, with their wealth and status, we'll continue to let them do the work now, thank you very much.

Then I took a breath and realized how great it was to acknowledge that one of the most powerful forces on earth this past year was the simple act of thinking about others. That "good news," for a brief, shining moment, had won the day, earned the banner headline, and made the top story. Hooray for the guys in the white hats.

And, as someone who spends a good deal of time working on fundraising projects, how fantastic to have the idea of philanthropy celebrated. JFK was fond of the biblical quote, "Of those to whom much is given, much is required." How nice to see some living embodiments of that ancient sense of obligation to a greater good.

Microsoft products often make me crazy. I hate monopolies. And Bono's messianic missions can be a little hard to swallow sometimes. But after letting myself think about it for a few moments, I am now thrilled that, for a day, Bill, Melinda and Bono are the story. Good move, TIME.

3 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger ginab said...

You should visit EL Wisty's blog. She has a post almost identical to yours.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Chris Capp said...

Really? How wild. I'm on my way ...

btw ... great new photo!

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Chris,

Funny thing us posting about the same subject.

I decided to drop all cynicism and just be happy that there are philanthropists!

Maria

 

Post a Comment

<< Home