Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A Starry Orchard


The other day I had the chance to go to the opening night of a new production of The Cherry Orchard at the Mark Taper Forum, starring Annette Bening and Alfred Molina. Actors love Chekhov because his material is bottomless, you could work on it forever and never stop discovering new nuances and meaning. The relationships are so rich and the characters -- each of them -- so deeply drawn, that it requires an ensemble that is really in tune. That also makes it extremely difficult to do, and is why there is so much bad Chekhov done. Only Ibsen suffers more from poor productions, in my opinion.

With that said, I am happy to report that the Taper production, directed by British theater whiz Sean Mathias using a new adaptation by Martin Sherman (Bent), is quite good. Sometimes you see film stars take to the stage and get eaten up by the large, open space and technical requirements of physicality and vocalization. But Bening and Molina are old pros, both trained, experienced and very much at home on the stage. I was particularly impressed with Bening's physical freedom, and I posted this picture to show that. She was very much in command of the demanding role of Madame Ranyevskaya. Molina is even stronger as the peasant-made-good, Lopakhin, who ends up buying the estate from the profligate Madame R. I've seen Molina do Shakespeare and, now, Chekhov, and his classical chops are considerable. What is especially exciting is you never see him working. It appears effortless and so very real. His third act speech about buying the orchard is a highlight.

For all its quality, though, this starry production plays it very safe most of the time. I was never grabbed by the lapels and made to feel for these people. It is a very well-done production that never fully engages the audience. Perhaps they'll turn up the burner as the run progresses.

The opening night crowd included such famous faces as Mr. Bening, Warren Beatty, who I saw get swamped by photographers and autograph hounds as he approached the theater with his family. He was very generous and good-natured considering they were rather like a pack of wolves. I might have been most excited to see Cherry Jones, one of New York's most fantastic stage actors. Her girlfriend, Sarah Paulson, is in the show and shines as the bordering-on-spinster daughter Varya. Probable Oscar-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman was there as well, appearing completely unaffected by the silly hype surrounding awards season.

7 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Chris,

I love Chekhov! Glad to hear that they performed it well. It is a real art to know what to do with such a vast space as a stage...

These days in film, a background can be added with computer graphics. Sometimes these are more flash than the characters in the foreground, and I think this trains the audience to expect visual spaghetti. (This also includes special effects...)

That's given me a lot to think about. There is beauty in simplicity, I think us computer graphic dorks get a little carried away with detail sometimes.

Thankyou again, this blog is marvelous!

Jack

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger ginab said...

Yes, Anton. His stories too...but in my one year at Emerson College, in the Netherlands, I pared down his "Three Sisters" into three female roles. Emerson held a Sunday evening cafe for entertainment, and I had a few courses in adaptation in me by then. The play is or was to me at the time the smartest. You can retrieve the story through the three roles.

I marveled, tapping the keys on a Spanish-made typewriter, through the piercing nuclear-made blade of a hangover, with every word I wrote in English or each Russian name hit with the spell check bell of Spanish disapproval, balancing the original text precariously between a finicky desk lamp and the side of the typewriter, genius, what a genius, that Anton.

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Chris,
I read your comment about polar bears on Dan's blog. You must make the trip to Churchill if you love the white beasties. My father and his second wife made the trek in the early nineties and said it was the most beautiful trip they ever took; this was a comment from someone who had been on all 5 continents, and travelled the Galapagos. You'd have had to take his word that it was amazing if you had been my dad's lifetime travel list.
I love them too and will make the trip in when I can holidays in October sometime after teaching.

-AM

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Chris Capp said...

jack,
I worked a few times in New York with a playwright named Romulus Linney who has been around forever, is prolific and powerful. He often directs his own work because he loves to have a very bare stage and feels directors often muck things up with bells & whistles. Look at Matisse's paper cuts -- less is often more.

ginab,
Wow ... there's a play right there: the young American adapts Chekhov in late nights in Spain. How evocative. How romantic. I played Tuzenbach once and remember fondly the hidden sadness of his farewell to Irina. I could have played it for a long time. Do you still have that adaptation anywhere?

a-m,
I don't think I've ever met someone who actually made that trip! Most people think I'm nuts to want to take vacation on ice. Thank you so much for sharing that. I shall remember those words when it comes time to seriously consider those [expensive!] excursions.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger ginab said...

Maybe I do, but otherwise I really can redo. I can. I was in the Netherlands then. Lots of international everybodies. Needed a typewriter bad.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Chris Capp said...

Right ... you did say that, didn't you? The Netherlands, but with a Spanish typewriter. I love it.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger matty said...

Look at you rubbing shoulders with the greats and near greats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home