Monday, April 03, 2006

April Poetry

Inspired by the highly literate and much more diligent-than-I blogger ginab, I want to salute official poetry month. I wonder what kind of activities does poetry month involve? Maybe students read and write poetry in school. It's been a long time since I was in school. Maybe libraries highlight the work of poets. Too bad we can't have some of our finest actors reading selections of poetry during television commercial breaks. Or, mixed in with the usual coming attractions, have movie theaters show a trailer with, oh, I don't know, Morgan Freeman reciting Langston Hughes. Or Jeremy Irons reading Byron. Print Yeats on the paper bags used by the grocery store. Put a couple of lines of Seamus Heaney on a city bus. Get poetry out there.

I have always enjoyed the rhythmic poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-1899). His story fascinates me, too -- he was born into Victorian England but converted to Catholicism and became a priest, living much of his life in Ireland where, by all accounts, he was quite miserable. But all the time he wrote poetry, at times burning it because he felt it was too showy, too vain, too self-involved. Fortunately a friend ignored his calls to destroy his work at his death and quite a bit remains. His innovative use of meter and sound are surprisingly whimsical for such an austere man. Like most good poetry, his work is best read out loud. Here's a lighthearted piece to celebrate both spring and poetry month:

Inversnaid
This darksome burn, horseback brown,
His rollrock highroad roaring down,
In coop and in comb the fleece of his foam
Flutes and low to the lake falls home.

A windpuff-bonnet of fawn-froth
Turns and twindles over the broth
Of a pool so pitchblack, fell-frowning,
It rounds and rounds Despair to drowning.

Degged with dew, dappled with dew
Are the groins of the braes that the brook treads through,
Wiry heathpacks, flitches of fern,
And the beadbonny ash that sits over the burn.

What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

12 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Hi Chris,
I had never heard of Hopkins, so thanks for bringing him to light for me and sharing his work.

I loved your comments on my latest blog. what a keen eye you have for family dynamics. My brother is exactly what you see there, although my sister and I seem to have reversed roles in the last 20 years. She was indeed quite a frivolous young lady, dubbed Imelda because of her love of shoes. She has since eclipsed me in that regard and thinks of me as the silly one. Life is good that way, that you can switch roles like you do on stage. :)

Cheers,
AM

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Hi Chris

I came over via Anne-Marie's blog.

I, too, love poetry. My 15 year old daughter is very talented in that area & tends to write darkly.

The poem on your post is great. I'll have to google G.M. Hopkins...

Thanks
Dale

PS I love the name of your blog. It is one of my favourite songs - hauntingly beautiful...

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger ing said...

I looooves Gerard Manley Hopkins. His stuff just sounds so good! Which actor would you hire to read his stuff?

I tried to listen to a book on tape, but the actor who did the reading was AWFUL! He had no sense of rhytm or breath; he sounded as though he was reading the material for the very first time and was taken aback -- or even confused -- by every word.

I love the idea of poems on grocery bags. We usually do a big display at the bookstore. Which, today.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger ing said...

I mean, rythm.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger ginab said...

Even tho I don't have a television, I would applaud, stand-up and shout, sing and dance and drink myself blind if actors (or poets) were to read poetry between programs, in place of the networks airing commercials (and not for just the month of April).

Poetry and America seem their own pair of oppositions.

I like Hopkins. I know I've read his poems in a couple of Norton anthologies. I think his state of humility (to burn his work) to the death reflects his faith (and not his fears over the quality of his work).

But gosh I'm a little red-faced otherwise, for your mention of me. I too like "And I Moved". There's a poet in our musical taste.

thanks
-g+bb

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You have some good idels here and thank for the Hopkins poem I just love his work

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger matty said...

That is an awesome poem and I am unfamiliar with Hopkins. I guess I need to get familiar.

C Paglia claims that Joni Mitchell wrote one of the greatest poems of all time.

...discuss.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger matty said...

...of course she also once said something to the effect that Madonna was the most important artiste of the 20th Century.

ok, let's not discuss.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger ing said...

Oy, Camille!
Break, blow, burn!
But first,
try plucking your brows.
I'll loan you my tweezers,
if you like.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Chris Capp said...

Camille, Camille, what are we to do with her? But I understand her book on poetry is AMAZING.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Dale said...

It sounds like horseback riding...

Yes, leave the wetlands wet & the mountains treed!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger matty said...

I enjoyed the book. ...mainly because of her passion and will of spirit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home