Saturday, March 07, 2009

You're still goin' strong ...




This past Tuesday night I had one of the most unusual and memorable evenings. I had been invited to see Carol Channing inaugurate a new cabaret series at L.A.'s Magic Castle, a huge old mansion sitting on a hill off Franklin Avenue in Hollywood that is a kind of private club for magicians. Historically, entry is granted only to members and invited guests. For this new cabaret series, however, a limited number of tickets are available to nonmembers.

I was looking forward to the event mostly because I've never seen Carol Channing live -- not even in one of her 5,000+ nights spent playing Dolly Levi in the many iterations of Hello, Dolly! over my lifetime. So there was a certain camp factor. Also, I had never been inside the Magic Castle, so it seemed like it would be a great combination.

I was not prepared for effect she would have.

First of all, our seats were amazing. A stage-side table on the stage-left side in what was already an incredibly intimate room. When the 88-year-old Miss Channing finally took the stage, she was never more than about 10 feet from us -- most of the time considerably closer. She's had a couple of hip operations in the past year, so she moves very carefully and is wafer thin. There is a certain fragility in her physical presence. But mentally? Emotionally? Intellectually? This woman is so sharp. I was blown away by her intelligence. I think she might be off-the-charts MENSA smart.



She mostly told stories, sprinkled with snippets of songs here and there. But among her first bits was a recalling of her initial audition for the president of William Morris all those years ago. Coming from a small, intellectually rigorous women's college in New England (Bennington), she thought for sure he would appreciate a serious song in old French telling the story of Orestes. And suddenly she's singing it, in this low, gutteral voice. And it just keeps going! It was at turns hilarious and mind-bogglingly impressive. For an encore with the big wig at the agency, she sang a song in some ancient language that was written in 9/5 time ("Oh, you know about that?" she says with flawless timing when audience members laugh at the obscure time signature). She borrows a drum from her drummer and proceeds to bang out 9/5 time and begin this bizarre chant-like number. I don't know if it translates here, but I just couldn't believe my eyes and ears! It was like some strange celebrity fringe festival act. The cognitive dissonance of watching the daffy Dolly Levi acting out such a moment was delightfully disorienting.

She has incredible recall of events and conversations, or certainly a finely-honed aptitude for making it appear so. And to watch that razor-sharp comic timing as up close as you can be was a dream.

Among those sharing the room with me and Miss Channing were Lily Tomlin and her longtime partner, Jane Wagner. Lily has an old bit about RSVP'ing for events as "Lily and, maybe, Jane," because Jane is a famous last-minute canceller. Well, Jane was there, so Carol must rate. And watching those two incredible talents watching Carol Channing was a treat in and of itself. Lily was like a good student, soaking up every bit of business and watching with appreciation and wonder.

The event was meant to benefit a new initiative Miss Channing is launching to get the arts back in California public schools. Most people at 88 wouldn't take on such an ambitious mission, but that says something about her restless spirit and mind I suppose.



This photo shows her greeting Tippi Hedron on her way out. I like it because you can fully appreciate the incredible condition she is in. There aren't many 88-year-olds who can take off their white jacket part-way through a show and continue to perform in a tight, shiny turtle-neck number, but there she was.

Again, I went thinking it would be a hoot and came away inspired by this woman's incredible mind, unstoppable energy and brilliant gifts of timing and presence. An unforgettable night.

11 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Chris,
How amazing for you! She certainly sounds like a trouper. I think those old Hollywood types from the bygone era have an incredible spirit and work ethic that is not always evident with today's set.

I'm so glad you shared this with us. It sounds like you had a lovely evening.

I hope all is well in your little corner of the world. I'm heading to NoCal for my usual spring break on Saturday- can't wait to be snow-free.

xx
AM

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Love your story about the evening. I was there having flown in from NH with my partner to attend. Carol has come to NH twice in the past 18 months to help raise money for AIDS and has raised more than $ 50,000. She is indeed a dynamo and you brilliantly captured the evening. Thanks for sharing that.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Chris Capp said...

A-M: Always nice to see you here. Glad you enjoyed this post. I agree about the work ethic. Carol Channing played Hello, Dolly! for more than 5,000 performances and never missed a show. The other night she commented that when she might be feeling under the weather, she'd just think about the people who had saved their money, traveled a distance and looked forward to that performance and then she'd "call upon the heavens" and somehow get through the show. Now we have Jeremy Piven quitting a Broadway run because his mercury count was high. Enjoy the Bay Area and the [comparatively!] warm weather.

Paul: How nice that you found me and my little post! I love that you traveled all that way to see the show. I was NH for Christmas this past year at my sister's home and it was a wonderfully white Christmas. I even enjoyed the novelty of shoveling snow! Thanks for the kind words and please do come back.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Vallypee said...

What a great post Chris. so incredibly inspiring! I only hope I can live to be half as on the ball and on the edge as the incredible Miss Channing. She looks amazing for her age as well.

A great privilege to have seen her show, and one I'm sure you won't forget in a hurry.

Hope you are well, and sorry to have been so absent. Life, you know ;-)

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Ahvarahn said...

You are getting out and about. Sounds intriguing. I'm not getting to do the things I want these days, but I expect it's my fault.

The world is too much with us, late and soon, getting and spending we lay waste our powers. Wordsworth said that over two hundred years ago. And nothing has changed, Chris. And to all intents, most folk are still at it, more intensely too. On reflection, I'm guilty, and have drifted to spending time on less important things. I need to take your heed and do things that inspire. I now have a piano. It's therapy.

I’m thrilled to hear from you, and more so since you come bearing a mild kick to me arse. We need to use our time wisely. Thanks for the shout out and the encouragement.

Be lucky
Paul

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Cathy with a C said...

Hi, Chris

I haven't been using my time wisely and just now am getting around to visiting my favorite blogs. Spring is here this weekend, but I hear that Monday will be cold and rainy again.

Hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

Cathyxox

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Vallypee said...

Hope you are well Chris!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Ahvarahn said...

Hi there!

Hope you are well. 4 years later and internet streaming is cheaper and everyone seems to be at it. This one is interesting (from your back yard) live now: http://kevinpollakschatshow.com/

be well Chris
Paul

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger ginab said...

update, mister CC. UPDATE!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger ginab said...

small

craft

warnings

(insert the date today)

I wrote a paper on this play. Maybe I'll find it one day, part of a dream of mine.

but, you're reading Isben?

holy cow!

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger 友辰友辰 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home