Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Who in the desert



















OK, well, blogger just puts these photos wherever it wants, I guess. Not he most artful arrangement, but there it is. Finally, two weeks later, I am uploading some pics from The Who's blistering set at Indian Wells Tennis Garden out in the California desert near Palm Springs. After their traditional first few songs without interruption, Pete addressed the crowd at the fairly intimate, outdoor venue. "I've always wondered what it was like in the deep, deep desert," he said. "It's f**king cold! And it's windy. And it's dark," he continued, to much laughter. "You're very lucky people to live here."

The Web is filled with reviews and synopses of many shows from this tour. I won't go song by song or anything, except to say that from the fifth row [the closest I've ever sat at a Who show], they were on fire. And I think it's just fantastic how many songs from the new record they are playing. Pete keeps apologizing for it and I wish he wouldn't, but I suppose he feels it heads off grumbling from fans who want to hear the hits. There are plenty of them still in the set list, but I admire their determination to give the new material its due. I am glad I got to hear "Black Widow's Eyes" from the new CD as they seem to have stopped playing it live since that night. Pete had some problems with his guitar rig, at one point pulling at his headphones and visibly yelling to someone offstage, "It's loud!" But I thought the song sounded great live. As did "Fragments" from the new record. Much more powerful live, somehow, with great visuals on the impressive video screens.

Memorable moments: Meeting Mikey Cuthbert during the opening act. "Man in a Purple Dress" was just dynamite, with a simple acoustic guitar and Roger's theatrical vocals. "Eminence Front" was surprisingly powerful, and the new "Mike Post Theme" had Pete and Zak working off each other beautifully. Pete allowed the end of "Baba" to drag out, with poor Roger puffing away at his harmonica as Pete counted from 1 to 9 with the audience, finally declaring that "Nine is a good number" and stopping. Hilarious. During the sublime "Tommy" encore, Pete came way downstage at one point, wielding his guitar like a machine gun, and slowly strafed the audience from stage right to left, all the while visibly spewing foul invectives that no mic picked up.

Sitting so close, I really appreciated the stamina of these guys. Roger somehow looks like he stepped out of a time machine from the 1979 tour, and Pete still windmills and thrashes his way through two grueling hours. Zak is a force of nature on drums, and I really appreciated Simon Townshend's contributions this night. During the new mini opera [which is so energized on stage], Simon plays several instruments while also contributing key backing vocals. He is vital to the current live sound of the band.

And "Tea and Theatre" is a gorgeous end to the show. Just Pete and Roger, an acoustic guitar and a mug of tea. Roger sings it like it's the last thing he'll ever sing. Just perfect.

This is no nostalgia tour, kids. They are a vibrant, spontaneous, creative force. If they are rolling into your town, I encourage you to pick up a ticket. I'm so glad I made the two-hour drive to the desert.

10 Comments:

At 3:45 AM, Blogger ginab said...

Geez CC you know I'm not getting the cussing. Sounds like it was a highly emotional time in the desert, and then after the two hour drive...surrealy derelictic ;-).

-ginab

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Ahvarahn said...

Nice review from the fifth row, Chris; I've never been that close but for the Joe's Pub intimacy. I am toying with the idea of another Who concert on Saturday, but my finances are warning me against any defiance of their recommendation not to attend. I totally agree that T&T is a great end to the set.

Back in Boston and tired. British Airways managed to damage my new sitar but apparently they did the same with Ravi Shankar's. When I finally align with US time, I'll try tuning it and maybe writing about India.

Take care - Paul.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Chris Capp said...

ginab,
Not sure what made me do the **'s! I wasn't even concsious of it. Funny. Yeah, the drive. What was fun was after the show, heading back to L.A. on empty freeways! Yippee!

paul,
Glad you landed safe and sound. Sorry to hear about BA manhandling the sitar. I hear you on the finances. The band announced a San Diego gig in March but time will tell if I can make that trip. Good luck tuning and "tuning"!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Suesjoy said...

Aw LOVELY review Chris!
I need to write up my second part of my 3 part series - (second night was the Hollywood Bowl).
I am a bit stuck only because words could never convey the way I was FEELING - you know?
I was just totally blown away, mesmerized...blissed out!
I was happy to share that night with my daughter. She loved it!

Thanks for sharing - love the photos too!
Lucky you to be so close -
Right on!!
Take care and be well,
Suexx

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Chris,
thanks for your sweet comments. You had great seats for this and I'm so happy you got to experience it. Great pics!

We get our Who fix in exactly a week!

Take care,
AM

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

That sounds like an amazing show. I also agree it is fantastic they are playing a lot from the new album - which is very good. I just saw the BBC replay some of The Who show at the Roundhouse. That was incredible. Even on the TV it was a powerful, energetic performance. That is one show I made every effort to see but was unable to get tickets. It was sold out before I even knew about it. Every effort I made short of showing up on the night with a pocketful of cash was rebuffed, sadly. I wasn't going to take a chance buying tickets made in Hong Kong from Jack in the alley. Not for an important show like this.

They did a brilliant version of Cry If You Want, in a sort of bluesy rhythmic style that really impressed me. I have always loved the 'Its Hard' album for a number of reasons. (just like all the others!) It was great to hear them do that.

Tea and Theatre in the desert. Well worth a two-hour drive. Fifth row Chris! I was that close to the stage for a Who show way back in 1982, and my ears are still ringing~!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Chris Capp said...

sue,
I know what you mean about feeling -- it resists capture, doesn't it? I look forward to your recollections, though.

A-M,
Good to have you back in blogland! A week, huh? That must mean it's almost December. How did that happen?

Jonathan,
I see BBC has the Roundhouse show available for viewing online for a few days, too. I'll have to try to carve out some time for that. I have also always loved "Cry If You Want," and was happy to hear bluesy bits of it inserted in the "My Generation" jam. Almost didn't recognize it at first, which is always exciting. Roger was even doing some James Brown type dancing! I'd like the keys to whatever time machine he uses!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Wow Chris, you DID get good seats.. I was about 80 rows or so back at the bowl. he sounds mix was fab though. Glad you made the trip out there to see them. Great write up.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger matty said...

I'm so jealous! I was at a Who show back in the very early 80's -- but I can't recall it for reasons we will not go into. But, I can't imagine a more committed singer than Roger Daltrey.

and, then Pete.

Well, you saw a bit of history!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Saw the LA show...just got tickets in my hometown Phoenix.

Long Live Rock!

And I Moved is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home